Saginaw Housing Commission

Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program


Walk-in Hours 

Monday and Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm 
Wednesday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Appointments are available by scheduling with your Housing Specialist. 

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program  assists very low-income families to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market with a tenant-based voucher.  An eligible family is issued a housing voucher and responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet Housing Quality Standards.  The family pays the difference between the rent and the subsidy provided on their behalf.  A subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by SHC on behalf of the participating family.

Changes in Household Income/Composition

If you are a current participant of the HCV Program and need to report changes in your household income/Composition, you will need to complete an adjustment packet form and provide your Housing Specilaist with documentation of the changes.  Any type of changes cannot not be completed unless you have supporting documentation of the change. 

The HCV Administrative Plan states "the family is required to report any/all changes in their household composition and/or household income within 10 business days of the change occuring".

HCV Participants Requesting to Move/Port

If you are a current participant and have fulfilled your original one year lease with your current landlord and are in good standing with the HCV Program, you would be eligible to Move/Port.  You are required to complete a Request to Move/Port and attend a move briefing before you eligible to move into a new unit. 

Please be aware that affordability (what you can afford and your portion of the rent) cannot be determined prior to attending the move briefing or turning in the required documents to your Housing Specialist.  Once the required documentation is turned in, your housing specialist can determine if the unit you are interested in is affordable and inform you of what your portion could be. 

If you are interesting in Porting Out to a different jurisdiction (outside of Saginaw County), after you have attended the move briefing, you will need to complete the Request for Portability-Family Information.  Once the Saginaw Housing Commission has received your Request, your information will be transmitted to the area you have requested.

Portability In

The SHC is currently absorbing.

If you live outside of Saginaw County and want to Port (transfer) to Saginaw County, you need to contact the Housing Authority your currently receive assistance in and begin the Portability process there.  Once you have completed the requirements at the Housing Authority, where you currently receive your  housing assistance, your paperwork will need to be sent to the Saginaw Housing Commission, ATTN: Portability.  Once the Saginaw Housing Commission receives your paperwork, an appointment will be set up with you to provide our agency with necessary documentation and you will be issued a voucher from our agency.  You will also be provided with the necessary forms to begin the process of locating housing inside of Saginaw County.  The current payment standards for the Saginaw County are:

0-Bedroom $479.00
1-Bedroom $594.00
2-Bedroom $755.00
3-Bedroom $996.00
4-Bedroom $1,096.00

The current Very Low-Income Limits for the Saginaw County Area are:

1 Person $20,100.00
2 Person $22,950.00
3 Person $25,800.00
4 Person $28,650.00
5 Person $30,950.00
6 Person $33,250.00
7 Person $35,550.00
8 Person $37,850.00


HUD VASH Program

The HUD VASH Program is for homeless veterans. It combines the HUD Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance with case management services from a VA Medical Center. You need to contact the VA in your area to see if you would qualify.  You can also view the following page for more information: HUD VASH Vouchers.